Your Best Year Ever, “My Recipe for a Successful and Happy Life”
By Greg A. Pestinger
With each new year comes resolutions, hopes and dreams, for most, unrealized by year end. The new year also brings advice from gurus, bosses, friends and family on how we should live “our lives”. The reality is that it is “our life” and how we choose to live it is completely up to us, no one else.
This month, I wanted to share some of the principles that I applied in 2017, a year that was by far one of the most challenging and successful years I had experienced in a very long time. A year full of growth, new friends, purpose and happiness. As in all thing entrepreneurial, some actions I took helped me move toward achieving my goals, and others, well let’s just say they became “learning opportunities.”
I have picked out the principles that worked, along with new learning, to set my goals for 2018. No promises here that these principles will work for you, however they should get you started thinking. My point is this, “doing something is always better than doing nothing and hoping things will be different”. What you do and whether or not it works for you is completely up to you. To succeed or not is a “decision” that you and only you can make.
12 Tips for A Successful 2018
Below is my checklist for 2018 and it is simply that, a checklist. Over the next few months we will explore each principle in detail; the “why”, “how”, “what” and expectations of each. For now, simply a starting point to get you thinking about what you are committed to do in 2018 to realize your full potential. Now for the list:
- Know who you are – What do you stand for, what values do you hold dear? Why do you exist, what purpose do you serve and why do people care? What do other say about you when you’re not around? Are you living your authentic self?
- Know what you want – What are your goals? Are they specific and clear enough that an 8-year-old would understand? Are they written down, committed to memory? Do you know your numbers, your targets? Do you have a plan to achieve your goals?
- Prioritize your time – Have you identified the single most important thing that you must do first, the task that gets you closest to your goal? Do you have a system in place that focuses single handedly on that action? Have you identified the noise in your day, the things that take up a lot of time yet contribute nothing to your success?
- Believe in yourself – Do you believe your future is brighter than today and that you have the ability to make it so? Have you identified constraints that might get in the way? Have you quieted the “I can’t” voices in your head and replaced them with “I will”? What does success look like for you and what does it mean to your life, family, career and business?
- Accept full responsibility – Do you accept full responsibility for your success? Do you refuse to make excuses or blame others for your struggles, your failures? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals?
- Surround yourself with people who believe in you – Who have you chosen to surround yourself with, your network, your friends, family, coaches and mentors? Do they bring positive energy and optimism to the relationship? Do they hold you accountable and push you to be your best self? Are you willing to walk away from those that don’t?
- Learn what you don’t know – Do you know what you don’t know? Are you self-aware of what you do well and what you don’t do so well? Are you leveraging others to bridge the gap in your skill set? Are you willing to commit yourself to learn the skills that are required to be in the top 10% of your field?
- Take care of yourself first – Do you prioritize yourself first; your health, mind, body and spirit? Do you have daily routines that address and improve each? Do you have balance in your life across career, relationships, health, wealth, community, education and spirit? Do you set aside time to be alone with your thoughts, time to think, to be creative?
- Give back – What do you do in service to others? Where do you make a difference in your community? How have you improved the lives of others and in turn improve your own life? How do you play a role in a world that is “bigger than yourself?”
- Inspire others – Are you a leader? How do you help others realize their best life? Are you willing to do the hard things when they are required? Do you listen to understand, before voicing an opinion?
- Take action – Do you execute your plan? It has been said that life without action is merely a “fantasy”, are you dreaming or making dreams come true? Do you have the team in place that believes what you believe and are willing to bring your plan to life? Are you willing to do the work to get it done?
- Never give up – How do you deal with the hard things, failures, let downs, disappointments? Do you avoid blaming others, making excuses and giving up? Or do you learn from the situation, make adjustments, find creative ways to get past the barriers and go at it again, and again, and again? Are you willing to get out of your own way and get it done?
All My Best in 2018
Well there you have it, my checklist for a successful, meaningful and happy life in 2018. It’s not rocket science and most likely a reminder for what you already know. The problem has never been about knowing but about “doing”. Share your goals with someone that will hold you accountable and ask yourself, “What are you committed to do in 2018 to ensure that you have a happy and successful life.” Look for workshops and other tools throughout the year from us to help you realize your full potential. Let’s make sure your 2018 is Your Best Year Ever.